Tuesday, May 8, 2007

OH MY GOSH!!!

Long before I found out that I was pregnant, I decided to try to take "friendly advice" with a grain of salt. I fully expected to get lots of comments and advice, but I had no idea how many people would have thoughts to share.

So far, I have gained less than 30 pounds through the whole pregnancy. I have had some trouble with swelling ankles, but I am told it is normal. I am mostly carrying straight out in front and still have some people tell me that they can't tell I am pregnant from behind.

So imagine my amusement today at the grocery store when the cashier shrieked "Oh, my gosh! You look like you are about to drop that baby right now! Please don't do it here because I was in the hospital when my cousin had her baby and it was so disgusting that I don't ever want to have a baby myself!"

Mike and I looked at each other and laughed because I have had similar (but slightly less graphic) comments since I started to show! "Oh, my Lord, you're HUGE!!!" or "Girl, you're not even going to make it to your due date, so you might as well put that in your pipe and smoke it!" or the ever popular "You look like you're ready to pop at any second!" I have felt pretty good right along, so I generally just laugh it off. But what if I was a bit self-conscious? Nothing like a few "wide-load" comments to put a hormonally-challenged pregnant woman into a regular sob fest!

I thanked the cashier for the joke and for putting thoughts of a gory delivery into my husband's head, helped the woman behind us pick her jaw up off the floor after she caught sight of my stomach (so that she could make another colorful comment about how I'll never make it another 3 weeks), and laughed all the way to the car. Mike thought we should stop by on the cashier's next shift to deliver the baby right on her conveyor belt.

4 comments:

  1. Girl, the advice is just beginning... brace yourself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey has just finally decided to pop up and STAY up, so I've gotten really bigger over the last 2 weeks. There's no more give to my stomach and I can really feel that there's about a 2 pound baby in my belly. There better not be any "funny" comments coming my way or I'll slug someone :)

    Personally, I don't think you look abnormally big or anything. You did start showing a heck of a lot earlier then I did, but every woman carries their babies differently. And I just looked at your scrolling pictures and I'm now at 26 weeks and I think I look similar to you. I too carry this kid right out in front. The rest of me is so normal, that I can still wear my pre-pregnancy underwear. You're going to have a healthy sized baby, which is great. We don't want any premature kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing how people think it is appropriate to impart their "wisdom" or thoughts on pregnant women/ new parents. I'll just have to remember to grin and bear it, I guess!

    At least I'll have all of my friends who are new moms to vent to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind thoughts... I'm pretty sure I'm going to miss the belly, too! Although, the baby will be a great distraction from my minor disappointment at the loss of my belly!

    ReplyDelete